Impossible Position Free Webinar
Tuesday, May 5, 2020
ALL registrants will receive a link to a recording after this event.
The first 1,000 to tune in will be able to watch live.
Nationwide, emergency orders have been issued that in normal circumstances would be considered unconstitutional and unenforceable. The government has mandated the closure of private businesses, severely restricted the movements of healthy people and banned taxpayers from public spaces. Law-abiding citizens have been told they can’t leave their homes and in some cases, they can’t even visit family. Everyone is ordered to keep their distance.
Enforcement is challenging, confusing and controversial…if not flat out impossible. And who’s responsible …
Listen as our team candidly explores the complex issues police and legal professionals at every level are facing, such as:
- Questions concerning the legality of some restrictions
- The government putting Constitutional rights on hold
- Case law from past crises (Spanish Flu)
- Are we in for a wave of post-pandemic lawsuits?
- Who is at risk from a liability standpoint?
The challenges of enforcement
- How are department’s training officers to understand and confront emergency order violations?
- How should violators be handled? Warned? Cited? Arrested?
- Discretion vs. strict enforcement
- Should the police forcibly close businesses or should code violations be handled by others?
- How are Chiefs, Sheriffs and other brass responding to officers who question legalities?
Public trust in peril
- Can improvements in police/community relations be salvaged in this strained atmosphere?
- Are we stepping backward in terms of relationships with the community?
- YouTube and Social Media impact on officers engaging in enforcement.
- What are the ramifications of tracking citizens’ attempts to push back?