A.I.M. to SurviveBy Calibre Press | Feb 11, 2020
Several weeks ago, we explored some of the important office survival lessons revealed in an iconic series of reports compiled by FBI researchers Dr. Anthony Pinizzotto, Edward Davis and Charles Miller. The series was the result of a deep dive into the details of serious, sometimes fatal assaults on police officers designed to surface first-hand information on what makes officers vulnerable in the eyes of violent offenders and what steps can be taken to make officers safer. [More on the reports].
In their excellent new book, Deadly Force Encounters, 2nd Edition, co-authors Dr. Alexis Artwohl and Loren W. Christensen include a summary of the reports’ foundational lessons as compiled by the FBI. Termed “Take A.I.M.” recommendations for police officers, this easy-to-remember list is something every officer should remember and adhere to.
– I know that I can be assaulted at any time by anyone.
– I will remain constantly aware.
– I will never become complacent.
– I am responsible for my own safety.
– I will present a neat, clean, and professional image.
– I will maintain a good physical condition.
– I will never drop my guard.
– I will convey that I am an alert, prepared, and formidable opponent.
– I will take my training seriously.
– I will adhere to safety procedures.
– I will properly search and handcuff.
– I will use the appropriate amount of force.
– I will refuse to quit no matter what.
Print this out. Share it with fellow officers. Review it before every shift.
These are words live by.
Be sure to check out the new Force Investigation Strategies & Cognitive Interviewing certification course, scheduled for April 28 – May 1, 2020 at VirTra headquarters in Tempe, AZ.
This eye-opening program, a partnership venture between Calibre Press and Critical Incident Review, is crucial for anyone involved in investigating, analyzing or otherwise evaluating force events.
Created and instructed by two of the country’s top trainers, Jamie Borden and Dr. Paul Taylor, this eye-opening program promises to revolutionize your approach to investigations and interviewing.
Registrations are being taken now! Click here for more information.
Latest posts by Calibre Press (see all)
- Don’t Get Too Focused on the Lion Outside the Cave - September 18, 2020
- More Clues That May Red Flag Lies: Part 2 of a Calibre Series on Deception - September 16, 2020
- Are You Being Lied To? 16 Clues to Listen For. - September 14, 2020